Getting older happens to us all – and like anything else, we tend to show signs of wear and tear on our bodies! Oftentimes, one of the most noticeable places is on our skin.
While preventing signs of aging in the first place is the best method of preserving your skin’s appearance, there are things you can do to help diminish the signs of aging once they have already occurred.
- Avoid prolonged exposure to direct sunlight. Wear sunscreen with an SPF of 30 or more daily, seek shade when possible, and wear protective clothing to help prevent photoaging.
- Avoid tanning and tanning beds. These also emit damaging UV rays that will age skin.
- Apply moisturizer daily. Skin tends to become drier as we age and the appearance of lines and wrinkles increase. Moisturizer helps trap water in skin and give it a more youthful appearance.
- Wash your face with a gentle cleanser, twice a day. If your skin is extra dry, use a moisturizing cleanser to prevent dryness rather than cutting washes down to once per day.
- Don’t smoke. Tobacco products contain toxins which can dull skin’s appearance, and lead to loss of firmness and elasticity.
- Promote overall bodily health by eating healthy foods and getting enough sleep.
- Treat your #1 aging concern. Skincare products usually can only treat one or a few concerns at a time. Look at your skin and determine which signs of aging are most bothersome to you. Are they wrinkles or dark spots? Dullness or sagging? Then select a product formulated for that specific concern. Some products can treat multiple signs of aging, however using more than one product at a time can cause irritation and worsen your skin’s appearance.
If you’re not sure where to start with your skin’s aging regime, our team can help make recommendations based on your skin from our selection of products or cosmetic treatments such as laser treatments or chemical peels. Together we’ll reveal glowing, youthful skin!
Savannah River Dermatology is located at 575 Furys Ferry Rd in Augusta, Ga. For appointments and other questions our office can be reached at 706-691-7079.