Colder weather is approaching and as temperatures drop and humidity naturally decreases, you may notice your skin becoming dryer than normal. This is what we recommend for maintaining healthy skin during winter months.
- Prevent baths and showers from drying out skin by using warm water instead of hot and limiting shower or bath time to 10 minutes or less.
- Moisturize immediately after washing with a cream or ointment. “Creams” and “ointments” rather than “lotions” are thicker and work to trap existing moisture into your skin. Look for ingredients like jojoba oil, petroleum jelly, shea butter, glycerin, or hyaluronic acid.
- Wear lip balm. Balms should not tingle or burn after application, even on dry skin. If this occurs, switch to one that does not hurt upon application. Petroleum based balms tend to have good success.
- Use gentle, fragrance-free body products and detergents. Scented products, while festive, can cause further irritation.
- Be aware of ways to increase humidity and avoid things that dry out the air around you. Warming up by a fire is a nice way to spend a cold night, but will dry your skin out quickly! Showering with the bathroom door closed will help trap humidity in the bathroom with you. You may also consider purchasing a humidifier to run in your home to increase moisture in the air in any room.
If you notice skin irritation or dryness that causes extreme pain or doesn’t resolve with any of the suggested treatments, you may need to schedule an appointment with your board-certified dermatologist to assess whether or not a larger issue is at hand. Savannah River Dermatology is located at 575 Furys Ferry Rd in Augusta, Ga. Our office can be reached at 706-691-7079.