The summer season in the CSRA has faded away and cooler temperatures are upon us! With the decrease in humidity and cooler weather, you may find your skin becoming dry, flaky or cracked. How do you care for dry skin during the winter months? A few simple changes can help to soothe your skin.
- Limit baths or showers to 10 minutes or less. Prolonged exposure to hot water will further dry out your skin.
- Moisturize immediately after washing. This will help lock in moisture.
- Use a “cream” rather than a “lotion.” Lotions typically have a higher water concentration that while creams are thicker in consistency and help to provide a thicker barrier to hydration.
- Avoid products that contain alcohol and fragrance as these can irritate dry skin. Even if your skin isn’t usually bothered by scented products, dryness can cause increased sensitivity during the winter months.
- Try using a humidifier in your home. Humidifiers incorporate moisture into the air inside your home, creating a less drying environment in-doors.
If you are experiencing extreme dryness or dryness that doesn’t improve with changes to your routine, consider scheduling an appointment with your dermatologist. You may need further treatment or examination to ensure there isn’t another cause for your skin’s condition. Savannah River Dermatology is located at 575 Furys Ferry Rd and can be reached at (706) 691-7079. Contact us.