Congratulations, you just picked up an exciting new product from the store and are about to try it for the first time! You anxiously remove the product from its shiny new packaging, open the bottle and apply some to your face…
…but when you wake up in the morning?
None of the magical results you were promised have taken shape overnight. Instead, you’re left with itchy, irritated skin that looks even worse than when you first applied the product…
THIS is why dermatologists recommend testing a new skincare product before purchasing a full sized bottle or incorporating it into your daily routine. People often think there’s no real way to test a skincare product without using it on your face, but we recommend taking the following steps to avoid an adverse reaction:
- Apply the product in a spot where it won’t easily be brushed off or washed away, like the underside of your arm or elbow. Repeat twice a day for at least a week.
- Be sure to apply the same amount of product you would use on your face and leave the product on for as long as you would leave it on your face! For example, if the product is a cleanser, only leave it on for 5 minutes (or however long the instructions specify.)
- If you don’t notice itchy, red, swollen or otherwise irritated skin after 10 days, the product is likely a safe choice for you to use!
- Be sure to read the instructions on your new skincare product. Some ingredients, such as retinol, glycolic acid and BHAs can cause temporary stinging or redness on your skin. This is normal and isn’t something you need to worry about during the testing stage unless you have a severe or painful reaction.
- If you DO develop a reaction, gently remove the product and discontinue use. If your skin continues to feel irritated, you can use petroleum jelly or a cool compress to soothe it.
At Savannah River Dermatology, we pride ourselves on curating a collection of high quality products suited to all skin types; even sensitive skin! The products we carry are highly-recommended by our team; we wouldn’t recommend something we think might irritate you! However, if you are unsure or wary of trying a new product, we may have product samples or testers on hand for you to try before committing to a full-size version of the product. Drop by today to browse our favorite products for keeping your skin glowing and healthy.
Want to learn more about how we can care for you and your skin? Give us a call. Savannah River Dermatology is located at 575 Furys Ferry Rd in Augusta, Ga. For appointments and other questions our office can be reached at 706-691-7079.