There are many factors that affect the aging of our skin. While we can’t do anything to stop some of these factors (like getting older), there are some environmental factors we can influence positively.
By taking some preventative actions we can help reduce the effect of “extrinsic” aging on skin, or aging as a result of environmental and lifestyle factors. Actions like smoking or spending large amounts of time in the sun can speed up your skin’s aging process.
Try these tips to help reduce premature aging:
- Wear an SPF of 30 or more daily.
- Apply self-tanner rather than spending time getting a tan in the sun – a tan is actually a sign of skin damage!
- If you smoke, stop. Smoking greatly increases the speed of skin’s aging and creates a dull complexion.
- Gently cleanse skin rather than scrubbing vigorously which can irritate skin. However, gentle cleansing rids pollutants and dead skin cells that can clog your pores. Make sure to wash your face twice a day at minimum and after sweating.
- Apply moisturizer everyday. Moisturizer helps skin absorb water and hydrate skin cells.
It’s never too late to help reduce the appearance of aging in your skin. Even people who already have signs of premature skin aging can benefit from making lifestyle changes.
If signs of aging skin bother you, come visit our team at Savannah River Dermatology! We have many treatments that can help improve your complexion and reveal younger-looking skin. Savannah River Dermatology is located at 575 Furys Ferry Rd in Augusta, Ga. For appointments and other questions our office can be reached at 706-691-7079.