Do you suffer from hives? Appearing as welts or reddish/pink blotches or bumps on the skin, hives can appear on the skin in many sizes and flare up periodically or last for long periods of time. If your hives occur daily or last longer than six weeks, you may have chronic hives, or ““chronic urticaria.” While hives can be caused by a variety of things, common culprits are allergies, physical triggers such as cold or water, or infections and autoimmune diseases. Here’s what we recommend to alleviate symptoms:
- Make an appointment with your board-certified dermatologist. They can help rule out possible causes and recommend a personalized treatment plan.
- Track flare-ups. This can help you narrow-down triggers.
- Take photos of your hives. This can aid your dermatologist in correctly diagnosing your condition.
- Avoid overheating, wear loose clothing, and apply moisturizers daily to help avoid itch.
- Avoid stressors. Hives can be triggered by stress.
- Follow your treatment plan. Even when the cause of hives is unknown, treatment can be effective. Be sure to follow your prescribed treatment to ensure its success.
- If treatment doesn’t aid your symptoms, talk to your dermatologist. They can try a different medication or dosage to help your treatment plan succeed. It’s important to know that while your treatment may take time to work, about half of people with chronic flare-ups will stop having flare-ups within one year.
If you are experiencing hives, itchy, irritated skin or any other condition, make an appointment with your dermatologist. Savannah River Dermatology is located at 575 Furys Ferry Rd in Augusta, Ga. For appointments or other questions, our office can be reached at 706-691-7079.