As we head into the holiday season and embrace cooler temperatures and less time spent in the sun, you may be thinking about ramping up your skincare routine! If so, we applaud you! There’s never been a better time to start taking better care of your skin. However, we do have some valuable tips to help you get off on the right foot during this time of the year.
First, let’s review the basics of a skincare routine. A typical morning skincare routine may follow the following structure:
- Wash your face using a gentle cleanser.
- Apply medication or treatment. If you are using medicine or other treatment on your skin, you should apply this right after cleansing.
- Apply moisturizer and/or sunscreen.
- Apply makeup, if desired.
Following this order will allow you to get the most out of your products! Your morning skincare routine should differ from your nighttime routine. A sample nighttime routine may look like:
- Removing makeup, dirt, spf with a makeup remover, microcellular water, or cleansing balm.
- Cleansing the skin. This is a different step than the above – this is called “double cleansing.” Use a gentle foaming cleanser made for your skin type. In the winter, a hydrating or moisturizing wash may be a good choice if you struggle with dry skin.
- Apply treatments. If you use a targeted treatment such as an acne treatment, or spot treatment do this next.
- Moisturize. This step can be broken out into more differentiated steps if you utilize night serums, eye creams, etc. Do these first before applying your all-over facial moisturizer.
Revamp the Routine
One of the best ways to take your skincare routine up a notch and ensure your products are working to the best of their ability is to complement your personalized at-home skincare regimen with some in-office procedures recommended by your dermatologist. We can make specialized recommendations for your skin that will really work with your current efforts to see a noticeably better result! And, the best part is that we have different recommendations based on your budget and comfort level. For example, someone struggling with dark spots, can benefit from adding a Revision skincare dark spot corrector cream to their skincare routine, or if they’re willing to spend a little more and work with us in-office we can get them on a laser-treatment plan to reveal results faster.
Questions about your skincare? Just ask!
Our team is here to make sure your skin is healthy and beautiful! If you have questions about how you might be able to take the next step in your revitalizing your skin, please don’t hesitate to ask us. We will give you honest recommendations that fit your lifestyle.
The information presented in this blog is for informational purposes only and should not be taken as medical advice. Sources for the above information include The American Academy of Dermatology. If you have questions or concerns, please call our office or make an appointment with a medical professional. Savannah River Dermatology is located at 575 Furys Ferry Rd in Augusta, Ga. Our office can be reached at 706-691-7079.