10 FAQs about Botox
Are you considering a Botox Cosmetic procedure and have questions? Check out our dermatologist’s answers to frequently asked questions.
- What is Botox?
- Botox, short for Botulinum toxin, is an FDA-approved medical injection used by dermatologists and doctors to aid in treating a variety of conditions. You’ll be most familiar with its use for the treatment of fine lines and wrinkles, but it is also used to aid in the alleviation of migraines, excessive sweating and overactive bladder. At Savannah River Dermatology we use Botox Cosmetic to reduce fine lines and reveal younger-looking skin.
- How does Botox cosmetic work?
- Lines and wrinkles form overtime in skin from repeated facial contractions. Botox reduces these lines by blocking chemical signals telling these facial muscles to contract, instead providing relaxation for muscles and resulting in fewer wrinkles.
- How much time does treatment take?
- Injection takes about ten minutes and requires little to no down time, allowing you to return to your normal daily routine upon leaving our office.
- How many injections are recommended?
- Treatments are customized to your specific needs and problem areas. Our practitioners will help you determine the right amount of injection to use for your desired results. Typically, a crow’s feet area will take three injections while frown and forehead lines usually receive five injections. Injections vary in unit doses.
- How quickly do you see results?
- Initial results begin to be visible about forty-eight hours after injection with full results visible in several weeks.
- How long do results last?
- For moderate to severe lines, results can last up to four months.
- How often are treatments needed?
- While the average interval between treatments is three to four months, frequency of treatment depends on each patient and their desired goals. Our practitioners can help create a custom plan specific to your needs.
- Are there side effects?
- Bruising at the injection site is the most common side effect, but will dissipate. Other side effects are rare. If you have concerns about potential side effects, please see the boxed warning and consult with your practitioner.
- Is there a recommended age to start injections?
- You must be 18 years or older to receive injections, but there is no specific age at which botox is recommended. Rather the severity of lines and wrinkles and desired results should be used as a guide for individuals.
- How does it differ from dermal fillers?
- Botox smoothes lines and wrinkles by acting on facial muscles themselves, whereas fillers are used to replace lost volume, reducing the appearance of of deep folds or wrinkles.
Botox Cosmetic is just one of the cosmetic services we provide at Savannah River Dermatology. You should discuss with a licensed professional to decide if Botox Cosmetic is right for you. For more information about Botox Cosmetic or to schedule an appointment contact our office at 706- 691-7079 or visit us online at srderm.com.